In a couple of weeks, the two-year Bridging Program will be over. It feels like yesterday that the principal announced that we would be cramming 3 academic years into two calendar years. At that time, it felt like the two years would be an eternity... and now it's almost over. Sometimes I wonder if two years really happened...and then I look at my hair. (I cut my hair every two years and it's back to my waist which means that two years did indeed pass.)
So anyway, the 6th grade graduating batch happens to be my very first batch of kids 3 years ago. I think it's almost appropriate to end this school year with these kids. These kids bore the experiments of a brand new teacher fresh from the United States with teaching experience limited to 3 months of three students in the African bush with no electricity half the time. They put up with my endless "Grammar Pet Peeves", crazy writing projects and obsessive editing marks all for the sake of class rewards such as cookies and brownies. Three years later, they are still putting up with a slightly more experienced, definitely more insane, even crazier when it comes to marking comma splices and still constantly experimenting English teacher.
What did I learn in my first 3 years (four, if you count academic years) of teaching? To be totally profound, stuff. Or, to say it the way my students would, I learned so many stuffs. (Old habits die hard.)
1) I still have no idea what I'm doing. Each batch is different and each batch will just show you how much you don't know. The teacher is constantly learning with the students.
2) Teaching without compassion for the individual student is not teaching. They might learn a lot of head knowledge, but if you don't see them as individuals, they will notice. Children notice everything. (Get them to write a journal -- they often contain shocking revelations about a child's observations and consequent conclusions.)
3) Get to know students outside of class. I spent many lunch breaks with a certain batch of 6th graders. I still spend lunch breaks with them even though they're in 8th grade now.
4) Go to the basketball games. Boys don't really care about reading and grammar, but they tend to do better when you show them that you care about their sports. Plus, getting the coaches on your side goes a long way in motivating tough boys.
5) Listen to kids. They sometimes have really pointless stories or even petty drama, but sometimes, they just need someone to listen.
6) Let kids be silly around you. I have kids who come up to me and tell me really dumb jokes or just start dancing and singing in front of me for no reason. If you don't put your papers aside to watch them, you'll miss some of the funniest moments in your life. Guaranteed.
7) Write them. Even if writing is not your skill or your love language, it is often the universal love language of a student, boy and girl alike. I've had boys in high school tell me they still have my notes from when they were in 6th grade. Never underestimate the power of a written note.
8) Communicate everything clearly with parents. Stand your ground. I have the advantage of being a native English speaker, so parents rarely try to fight me over a grammar point. I learned, however, to be very clear with instructions and policies so there are no holes though.
9) Prove to the parents that you love their kids. Many parents complain that English is really difficult, but they usually end by saying something along the lines of, "Well, my son/daughter says you're nice, so at least..." ;)
10) Have a back up an for everything and be prepared to make something up on the spot. Never waste time in class. Keep them moving! Always be flexible.
11) Most importantly, pray. Pray for wisdom to handle the drama of 11 year olds, the wrath of parents, the irresponsibility of hyper boys. Pray for the children who don't seem to be capable of ever acting mature - often there's something going on at home that we don't know about. Pray for strength to press on even when the kids push all your buttons. Pray for health - I've never been so sick so many times in my life.
12) Food. Kids will do anything for food.
Want a job that you have to bring home with you, even on weekends?
Be a teacher.
Want a job where you have to do conflict resolution time and time again?
Be a teacher.
Want a job where you often eat your lunch a few bites at a time over a period of three hours?
Be a teacher.
Want a job where you are guaranteed to laugh every single day?
Be a teacher.
Want a job where you can watch your efforts bear fruit through the accomplishments of your students?
Be a teacher.
Want a job where you can make a difference in someone's life?
Be a teacher.
Want a job where you get to roll down a hill, play tag, go on crazy bus rides and still be "working"?
Definitely be a teacher.
Here we go. Last 2 weeks of grade 6, here we come! Soli Deo Gloria.
1 comment:
Great post! I especially like the reminder of #11 ~ and the other comment to enjoy laughing with the kids. :)
Post a Comment